Sunday, March 12, 2023

Monkey Mountain 猴山岳 Sunset Hike

 

The front peak of Monkey Mountain (Houshanyue) overlooks Taipei's Wenshan District. It is a great place to catch the sunset on a clear afternoon and to see the lights of the city coming on.  It's a short but steep 1.2 km walk to the peak from the Zhinan Temple gondola station along a concrete path and later up a steep dirt path with fixed ropes.

Distance/Time: 2.4 km/ About two hours (Only about one hour was spent walking. I spent one hour on the summit). 

It took me 30 minutes to walk from the gondola station to the peak but I went quickly since I wanted to get there before dark. On the way down, I was a little slower. My track is not entirely accurate for this hike. Near the end my speed picks up dramatically because I forgot to turn off the app until after I was already back on the gondola. A map and more info can be found here

The Trail:  

This is somewhere between an easy and a moderate hike. It starts out on a concrete track and then up steps. A short section is on a road. It's a very short walk but the last push up to the summit is very steep using fixed ropes, roots and footholds. There is plenty to hold onto but for people not used to it, it could be intimidating. Also, if you go at sunset you have to climb back down in the dark. 

Monkey Mountain (Hou Shan Yue 猴山岳) consists of 2 peaks. The main peak is 551 meters but there is no view. The front peak is shorter at 514 meters but offers an amazing view to the west. 

Here is a post about a longer loop hike that starts from Shenkeng, passes over Monkey Mountain and then goes back to Shenkeng, also passing the over-100-year-old Lin Family Cottage and a waterfall. https://taiwanhikingjournal.blogspot.com/2022/10/monkey-mountain-lin-family-cottage-and.html

What to bring:  Sturdy shoes, a jacket (because the weather was cool and windy at the top even on a warm night). A headlamp if going up at sunset. I highly recommend taking a stove and brewing a cup of tea to enjoy along with the view.

Transportation:I took the MRT to the Taipei Zoo station and then the Maokong gondola to Zhinan Temple station.

The hike:  

In October of the previous year I had done a long walk that included Monkey Mountain. I noted at the time that it was very close to Zhinan Temple station and wanted to come back on a clear evening just to see the sunset. So on a fine Saturday afternoon I set out.

I arrived at Zhinan Temple later than I expected because there had been a long line for the gondola at the zoo. It was already about 5:45 (in March) and the sun was starting to set so I set off at a pretty brisk pace, wanting to get to the top before dark.

Leaving the station I turned left on the road. 

Just down the road I passed under a red archway and immediately past it, on the left, there was a sign that read "Houshanyue Trail" next to steps.




I went up the steps which curved to the right. At the top I ignored a junction on the left and kept to the right. There were more steps, a long narrow section and then I came to an opening next to an electricity pylon where there was a nice view of the gondola station and the valley beyond. 


 

Then more steps. 


 I came to a road. Two stubby dogs came out of the yard across the street. They barked a lot but were harmless. On the left was what looked like a banquet hall where there were several cats.  


I turned left on the road and followed it for a few minutes until I came to a hairpin turn. 



On the far side of the hairpin turn, up a side road there was a clearly marked trail.

At the top of a small rise I took the first fork on the right. It started climbing right away-- at first up steps made from local stones. Closer to the top it got dramatically steeper, almost vertical in some places with fixed ropes and footholds cut into the stone. It was a short climb.  From the start of the dirt trail, the climb took less than 15 minutes.


I got to the top just before dark. The summit is flat and there are benches. It's the perfect spot to enjoy the night view. 


 


It was windy and cool at the peak so I put on long sleeved shirt. I watched the light change, sent some messages to family and friends, boiled water and drank a cup of chamomile tea. I spent about an hour at the top. 



 

 Around 7 o'clock I hiked back down to the gondola station. The area outside the station was lit up with colorful lights and taking the gondola at night was nice, too.


Outside Zhinan Temple Station at night

Subscribe: To get new posts by email you can subscribe here Subscribe or follow Taiwan Hiking Journal on Facebook

Map and GPS Coordinates: 

Monkey Mountain (Hou Shan Yue) Front Peak: 24.978807, 121.599104

 

No comments:

Post a Comment