Saturday, September 19, 2026

Sandiao Cape Lighthouse and the Sandiao Cape: Taiwan's Easternmost Point

The Sandiao Cape Lighthouse stands on a hill above the fishing village of Magang at Taiwan's easternmost point.  A superb way to visit it is by renting a bicycle in Fulong, following the cycling route around the cape and taking a short hike to the hilltop. The ride first goes through the Old Caoling Tunnel, a former railway tunnel  now open to bike traffic, and then continues around the cape. Grassy peaks pile up next to the road on one side and there are ocean views on the other.  There is a dedicated bike path for most of the route and it's not a hard ride. This is a trip to take slowly, stopping at scenic areas, cafes, viewpoints and small fishing villages along the way.   

📏⏱️Distance/duration: 23.7 km/  3 hours 23 mins (with lots of stops)

 

   More details as well as a map and GPX file can be found  here on ramblr. 

🚌🚲Transportation: I took a train from Taipei Main Station to Fulong Train Station and the reverse on the way back. Most trains take between an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half. On the train I was reading Against the Machine: On the Unmaking of Humanity by Paul Kingsnorth. 

There are several bike rental places just outside Fulong Station. I have rented bikes twice from this place and was very satisfied both times. There are ebikes too but I got a regular bike. It cost NT$200. The bike was in perfect condition and rode like a dream. You need to leave an ID and then it is returned to you when you bring the bike back. If you have a group, one person's ID is enough.  

When I was renting the bike I asked about locking it if I stopped but the attendant just told me, "Zheli meiyou xiaotou." (There are no thieves around here.)

👣Route overview:  This is not a hard trip though I was a little tired by the end. The bike ride is very pleasant. A lot of the time you don't even need to pedal --you just glide along looking at the ocean-- but of course there are a few hills. The hike to the lighthouse is surfaced. It is steep but short. 

It goes without saying that the ride would not be as pleasant on very hot, windy or rainy days.  

The bike ride starts and ends in the Gongliao District of New Taipei City. For a short distance after coming out of the tunnel you are in Yilan but soon go back into New Taipei City. The cycling route, with a dedicated bike path, goes all the way around Sandiao Cape, also known as Cape Santiago. The Spanish landed here in 1626 and named it Cape Santiago and the Chinese name is derived from the Spanish. 

Old Caoling Tunnel cuts under the mountains and leads from Fulong to Shihcheng in Yilan. It was first opened as a railway tunnel in 1924. At the time it was the longest railway tunnel in southeast Asia. In 2008 it was opened as a bike tunnel. It is open from 8:30 to 16:30 every day. On weekends and holidays pedestrians are not allowed. It only took me about 15 minutes to ride through the tunnel. 

Sandiao Cape Lighthouse was built in 1934. Several ships had hit reefs near the cape and had sunk during the Japanese colonial period. During World War II the lighthouse was damaged by allied bombs. In 1992 it was opened to the public. The lighthouse and several outbuildings surround a manicured lawn. The complex has been restored and some buildings were reconstructed. 

Some other points of interest include the Lailai Geological Viewpoint, Sijaoku Lookout Point, Magang Village and Mao'ao Village and Bay. 

🏕️What to bring: 

Recommended: sun protection (hat, long sleeves, sunglasses etc...), water

Optional:  I took a lunch with me and ate it near the lighthouse but there are seafood restaurants in Magang and Mao'ao or you could just wait till you get back to Fulong. 

Subscribe: To get new posts by email you can subscribe here Subscribe or follow Taiwan Hiking Journal on Facebook

The Trip

Earlier this summer I attempted to hike to Sandiao Cape Lighthouse by hiking over Longlong Mountain and down the sub ridge that passes over Lailaishan. There (sort of) is a trail there and I have read blog posts written by people who have walked it. However, when I attempted it earlier this summer the trail down from the main ridge was a mess. It was muddy and choked with grass and thorns. I could barely see where I was going and it was so steep that, given the conditions, it was kind of dangerous. I might have been able to make it through but it was no fun at all and I knew if I posted about it almost no one else would want to go that way. I turned back in defeat. I got back to Fulong soaked with sweat and covered in dust and plant pollen. I was so filthy that I took a "no soap" shower at the public beach before taking the train back to Taipei. 

Since then I have wanted to make a trip to the lighthouse by cycling around the cape. You could take a bus or drive but to me it's much nicer to travel at a more human pace by foot or bike. 

When I got to Fulong I bought some food at a convenience store and rented a bike. After I rented the bike I rode back up to Fulong Station. Caoling Old Tunnel and the beginning of the cycling path are east of the station. There is a sign outside the station. 

In this picture you can see the sign pointing the way to the Old Caoling Tunnel


 It's a short ride along a country road to the tunnel. The right turn for the tunnel (just after passing over the railroad track) is obvious. On weekends there is usually an obstruction here as people stop to take photos, some of them stopping right in the middle of the path. 



Inside the tunnel it was pleasantly cool. Unfortunately, some of the other riders made riding in the tunnel nerve wracking. I advise taking it slow and riding defensively. 

The majority of riders are responsible but there were some people who were riding ebikes and going way too fast. Some of them seemed so excited you would think they had never even heard of a bicycle before. They were whizzing along and shouting to each other and taking videos and generally not paying attention to where they were going.  I witnessed a near head on collision. 

Near the middle of the tunnel riders pass the border between New Taipei City and Yilan. A sign says not to linger in the area so of course most people ignore it and stop to pose for pictures. 


It took me about 15 minutes to bike through the tunnel. On the other side there is an area with food and drink vendors and a viewpoint from which you can see Turtle Island. I stopped and had a Taiwanese sausage. The smell of them cooking on the grill was hard to resist. 

Many people turn around and go back through the tunnel so at this point I pretty much left the crowds behind. The cycling route is easy to follow. Just follow the signs. But it is important to know you need to double back and go up a hill to get to Coastal Highway 2. Going straight will take you into the village of Shihcheng.


 

Make a sharp turn and double back here to get to the Coastal Highway

I rode up to the highway and I was on the way. 



 I made some stops along the way. 





I stopped at this cafe but did not go inside
 

I came to the Sijiaoku Lookout just before reaching the trail to the lighthouse. I could see it on the top of the hill. 
 


The trail to the lighthouse is clearly posted. To the right the road goes down to Magang Village. To the left is a parking area where tour buses were picking up and dropping off some elderly Taiwanese daytrippers. There was a gazebo next to the trail. I left my bike at the gazebo and walked up the hill. 




 







 
 

When I had had my fill of the lighthouse I went back down to the gazebo, where it was shady, and had my lunch. 


 Then I rode into Magang Village. There were several seafood restaurants. I am not really a seafood fan but if you are and know what to order, I am sure it is good. I went into one restaurant and had a beer. 



menu at a seafood restaurant in Magang

 From here I continued to Fulong. The most dramatic coastal scenery was definitely behind me at this point so I made less stops but it was still a very nice ride. It's easy to find the way back. Just follow the coast and the signs. 





Subscribe: To get new posts by email you can subscribe here Subscribe or follow Taiwan Hiking Journal on Facebook

Map, GPS coordinates and Google maps links:

More details as well as a map and GPX file can be found on ramblr: https://rblr.co/p7zkc

Old Caoling Tunnel Entrance (Fulong side): 25.003619, 121.958389, Google Maps link 

Sandiao Cape Lighthouse: 25.007865, 122.0014, Google Maps link 

 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment